April Tucker: April is a Los Angeles-based re-recording mixer and sound editor who works in television, film and new media. She holds both a Master’s Degree and a Bachelor’s Degree in Music/Sound Recording. April enjoys doing educational outreach such as writing for industry blogs, giving lectures and presentations. April can be contacted through her website, www.proaudiogirl.com.
Kate Finan: After receiving a Bachelor of Science in Sound Recording Technology, Kate began her career as a post-production sound effects editor. Over the next several years, she worked her way up to being a supervising sound editor at Warner Bros. and then left to start her own studio, Boom Box Post, with business partner and fellow supervising sound editor, Jeff Shiffman. Together, they lead post-production sound crews for animated television series. In addition, Kate also acts as the re-recording mixer on several series. Recently, Kate and Jeff have launched an additional venture, Boom Box Library, which creates custom sound effect libraries as well as software to aid in the sound design process. Over the course of her career, Kate has been nominated for MPSE Golden Reel Awards, Music + Sound Awards, and a Daytime Emmy. You can read more about her company and enjoy additional blog posts at www.boomboxpost.com.
Interviews and Articles:
The Tonebenders podcast is a resource for anyone involved in post sound, with insights on everything from field recording to editing, designing and mixing in the studio.
- 087 – SoundGirlsOrg: Career Paths in Audio Post-Production
- Episode #75 Dialog Editors Jill Purdy, Claire Pochon, Fred Rosenberg and Michael Maroussas
- Episode #62 Sound editor/designer/supervisor Abby Savage
- Episode #60 Gordon from A Shell In The Pit and freelancer Carlye Nyte to talk VR design and mixing.
- Episode #55 Nia Hansen about her career at Skywalker Ranch.
- Episode #46 Kate Finan is a sound supervisor with Boom Box Post in California.
- Episode #31 Brenda Jaskulske is the audio coordinator and senior lecturer in the department of media arts at the University of North Texas.
- Episode #21 Ann Kroeber, veteran audio post and field recording professional.
- Episode #18 Vanessa Ament, author of ‘The Foley Grail’, the preeminent book on the art of foley.
The Right Scuff podcast offers a different look into the world of Production & Post Production.
- Ep 17: Kitty Malone Interview
- Ep 16: Vikki Sampson
- Ep 14: Susan
- Ep 11: Catherine- Jack Foley’s Granddaughter
- Ep 10: Dominique Decaudain
- Ep 7: Berenice Interview
- Ep 4: Shelley Roden Interview
Designing Sound The Art and technique of sound design
Soundworks Collection is dedicated to profiling the greatest and upcoming sound minds from around the world and highlight their contributions. The SoundWorks Collection was created in 2009 by filmmaker Michael Coleman as an online destination that takes you behind the scenes and straight to the dub stage for a look into audio post-production for feature films, video game sound design, and original soundtrack composition.
Tonebenders Podcast is a collective of sound design professionals sharing their thoughts, ideas, and stories. All aspects of sound design will be up for debate, from field recording, to the final mix, from manipulation to synthesis, from track layouts to secret editing tricks.
Boom Box Post provides insights into the creative sound design process of Boom Box Post’s owners and employees.
Sound Libraries for Post and Music
The Acoustic Atlas collects the sounds of Montana and the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, along with habitats and species from throughout the Western United States.
You can build your own medieval soundscapes in this interactive website. Based on extensive research on Mystery Plays, it allows you to explore how the plays could have been affected by acoustic changes and sounds.
SoundGirls Profiles on Post-Production