SoundGirls is excited to offer this workshop in Post-Production Sound with Katy Wood a freelance sound supervisor and sound editor. Katy’s career spans over 20 years working in sound for film and television. She has worked on projects ranging from The Lord of the Rings trilogy, American Sniper, A Wrinkle in Time, and Ant-Man and the Wasp to compelling documentaries like Disarm, Girl Rising and No Dress Code Required. Katy will be joined by Stephanie Brown an assistant sound editor, Brittany Ellis and Unsun Song who work as Mix techs, and Onnalee Blank who is a re-recording mixer.
Space is limited to 12 SoundGirls Members. Apply and Register here
- Workshop: December 6, 2018
- Warner Bros Studios 4000 Warner Blvd Burbank CA 91506
- 10 am to 6 pm
(Times below are approximate)
- 10:00 Attendees arrive at Warner Bros Studios with ID for the gate. Head count and confirmation of all attending with Katy Wood to greet everyone.
- 10:30 Katy’s studio/office on the lot. Discussion of general concept and assessment of everyone’s knowledge
- 11:00 Katy will go through each step of receiving a project for sound editorial and will show sound editorial techniques with a specific project. Sound issues will be discussed. Sound effects as needed will be added.
- 12:30 Break for lunch. Attendees can bring their own or purchase at the commissary.
- 1:30 Meet with Stephanie Brown who will discuss in further detail the job of an Assistant Sound Editor for film and television (the first job/role people would have – the starting point)
- 2:15 Meet with Brittany Ellis and Unsun Song who work as Mix techs on the mix stages. They will explain their roles
- 3:00 Take our previously edited film and meet Onnalee Blank who is a re-recording mixer who will discuss her role and mix the material.
- 6:00 Wrap up and answer any queries
Katy Wood is a freelance sound supervisor and sound editor originally from New Zealand. Her career in sound for film and television has spanned the last 20 years and four countries. She has worked extensively in the United States, New Zealand, Australia, and the United Kingdom. Katy has covered all aspects of sound production and post-production on projects ranging from large feature films, such as The Lord of the Rings trilogy, American Sniper, A Wrinkle in Time, and Ant-Man and the Wasp to compelling documentaries like Disarm, Girl Rising and No Dress Code Required. She has a Masters Degree in Film and Television Specializing in Sound from the Australian Film Television and Radio School. In addition, Katy has taught courses on sound post production in Australia, Mexico, and Chile.
Stephanie Brown is a freelance sound editor who has 19 years of experience in the business. She started off as an intern and worked her way up to being a dialogue and ADR supervisor on projects such as ‘The Dirt’ (upcoming Netflix feature) and ‘The Disaster Artist.’ She is also a dialogue editor whose most recent work is ‘A Wrinkle in Time’ and ‘Antman and the Wasp.’ Her career has afforded her opportunities to also work on foreign language dubbing of big studio features such as ‘Aquaman,’ ‘Fantastic Beasts,’ and ‘Wonder Woman,’ to name a few. She has also sound supervised documentaries such as ‘Bigger, Stronger, Faster’ and ‘Crips and Bloods: Made in America.’ She currently serves on the Board of Director for the Motion Picture Editor’s Guild (Local 700) and has a Bachelor of Science in Recording Technology from Middle Tennessee State University.
Brittany Ellis is an Indie feature re-recording mixer and feature and television Mix Technician who works primarily at Warner Bros. Burbank in California. She grew up in Northern NJ and went to school at SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design). She obtained her sound design BFA and moved to Los Angeles to pursue her passion to become a re-recording mixer for artistic works.
Unsun Song has been a film sound industry professional for 20+ years. She studied Music and Audio Engineering at USC, and through connections there got her first gig at Soundelux sound editing company. From there Unsun had moved onto mixing stages, having working on almost all major studio feature stages in Los Angeles, mainly Universal Studios and now Warner Bros Studio Dub Stage 9. This premiere stage mixes films for Christopher Nolan, Clint Eastwood, Bradley Cooper, Todd Phillips and Ben Affleck, to name a few.