The SoundGirls Living History project is a collection of interviews with audio industry veterans. The project seeks to highlight the careers and achievements of women and underrepresented groups in audio. Interviews are conducted by SoundGirls members, with guidance from experienced interviewers in the audio industry. Interviews will be available publicly in our Living History Project and for educational use and research.
The types of interview subjects we are looking to include in the project (only need to meet one of these requirements):
- Currently in the industry with over 25 years experience (started 1995 or prior), or
- Any work history in the audio industry prior to 1995
- Can be the actual person, or could be someone who knew them well (in cases where the subject has passed away)
- An interesting or historically significant industry story (such as “breaking the glass ceiling” milestones, award winners, etc)
For a volunteer interviewer, doing an interview can give you an opportunity to spend time (virtually) with a professional you may not normally get to talk to. You will also be contributing to sharing stories that might not be heard otherwise. During the pandemic, interviews are a good way to get some social interaction, learn something new, and have something unique to add to your resume.
The total time commitment for one interview is 2-3 hours. Interviews will be 1-2 hours in length, require some basic research (internet search) to find background information on your subject (to help with questions), plus time to write questions (with guidance). Interviews take place by Zoom.
For interview subjects, the program can be a way to share your story to an audience who may not know what the industry used to be like, or about the types of jobs that women have performed in the industry for decades.
Proposals are open to SoundGirls members. If you are interested in doing an interview for the project, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include:
- The person (or people) you would like to interview
- If you know them
- If you have contact information for them or would need assistance reaching them